Monday, December 15, 2008

I have an improved/clarified/simplified idea of exactly what my thesis project will consist of.

To put it short and sweet...
___

I am going to be designing an exhibition about neuroesthetics and visual perception.


The vehicle for communication will be exhibition design, and the content of that exhibition will consist of selected research about neuroesthetics and visual perception. Specifically, it will give an overview of the fields, their recent developments, as well as hopefully express the relevance of these fields to art and design and how having an understanding of visual perception and neuresthetics will lead to creating more effective visual communication.


___

A problem I have been having is that my research for content and research for design has been blurry. The closest example I can think of is if you were making a book about typography. The emphasis of that project could be on the typographical layout of the content, or on creating the verbal content for the book. So, I had important realization, that at the very core of my project, the most important part needs to be the design (mainly exhibition and information). As much as I love researching the content for it, I am not a neurology or psychology major, this is not a neurology or psychology thesis, it is a communication design thesis. My main goal needs to be creating the most effective visual design to communicate the content. Because the content of my exhibition is so intriguing to me, I might choose to pursue that field of interest further, but for now, it needs to be all about the design.

Also, as a result of this realization, the content of this blog needs to expand, to not only research about neuroesthetics/perception/etc. It also needs to contain is visual research and inspiration in the areas of exhibition, information, environmental, and interactive design, etc.

I guess that about sums it all up.
More research to come, inspiration, semir zeki lecture notes, exhibition visits, etc etc etc!

___

No comments: