Sunday, November 2, 2008

Your eye is not a camera. Part 1 of ∞

If you are not convinced vision isn't always veridical (coinciding with reality),
I will have lots of visual illusions soon to change your mind.
I've been a little caught up in research (sans visuals) lately.
So now I am looking for lots of illustrations to help get back to inspiring the visual basis of all this.
They can be more than a little headache-inducing at times though, so I don't want to post tons at a time.
Here's one to get the ball rolling...

(This is a still image. Any perceived motion is an illusion.)

source


One of the most important concepts I want to stress is that our perceptions are internal constructions of hypothesized external realities!!!

(I put the 2nd half in italics because it is quoted from my notes for my Visual Perception class last semester.
It may have been a direct quote from my teacher, Adrien Mack, or it may just be me summarizing her lecture.)
___

No comments: